Monday, September 8, 2014

1st Nine Week's Vocabulary

1.) Collaborate (Verb)- Work together on an activity.

My sister and I need to collaborate to finish the puzzle, but we always yell at each other before we finish and end up quitting.



2.) Articulate (Adjective)- Having or showing the ability to speak fluently and coherently.

Gabriel articulates really well, but sometimes he speaks too fast.


3.) Evolve (Verb)- Develop gradually. From a simple to a complex task.

I like to watch trees and plants evolve over time, but it is a very long process.


4.) Meticulous (Adjective)- Showing great attention to detail. Very cautious and precise. My grandma is very meticulous, but I think she is just OCD.
5.) Agile (Adjective)- Able to move quickly and easily.


Cheetah's are very agile because they are really fast.
6.) Complementary (Adjective)- ] Describe things that combine in such as to enhance or emphasize each other's good qualities 
Complementary is used to point out qualities, but complementary is used to compare things that are almost the same but different. 















7.) Complimentary (Adjective)-   
Expressing praise or admiration for something or someone.
Complimentary is a form of flattery, and it can sometimes get you out of trouble.











8.) Accept (Verb)-  To receive or take (Something offered.) ; To take something as payment.
My mom finally accepted my gift after I told her it was a late birthday present, but it was really just a thank you present.


9.) Except (Preposition)-  Not including (someone or something) : other than.
Almost everything is allowed to be in the hospital except animals, but they are allowed unless it is like a guide dog.


10.) Affect (Noun)-   The conscious subjective aspect of an emotion.
Affect and effect are different because affect is emotions you feel, and effect is a change you can see from the outside.







11.) Effect (Noun)-   A change that results when something is done or happens. : Is produced by a cause, and after the cause is effect.
Famous people have an effect about what children are doing because we grow up wanting to be like them.






12.) Quantitative (adjective)-
Relating to, measuring, or measured by the quantity of something rather than its quality.
While my math teacher was teaching us about Quantitative, I was staring in space.









13.) Linear Function (Noun)-
A mathematical function in which the variables appear only in the firs degree, are mulitplied by constants, and combined only by addition and subtraction.
Linear function is something involved with math, but I am horrible at math.







14.) Qualitative (Adjective)- Of or relating to how good something is : of or relating to the quality of something.
My Ipod is really qualitative, and so is my iPad.  


15.) Exponent (Noun)-
Mathematics : A symbol that is written above and to the right of a number to show how many times the number is to be multiplied by itself.
We learned about exponents in 6th grade math class, but I didn't actually use exponents until 7th grade.



16.) Pythagorean theorem (Noun)-
A theorem in geometry: the square of the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle equals the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides.
I learned how to use Pythagorean theorem in math, but sometimes I still have trouble doing some questions.








17.) Organic (Adjective)- Once living or was from a living thing.
Coal is organic, but I did not know that until I learned it in science.








18.) Inorganic (Adjective)- Was not once living or wasn't from a living object.
Copper is inorganic, and I did not know that.









19.) Mineral (Noun)- A solid inorganic substance of natural occurrences.
Because I have been learning about minerals in science class, I knew the definition already.











20.) Crystal (Noun)- A piece of a homogeneous solid substance having a natural geometrically regular form with symmetrically arranged plane faces.





Mr. Oney passed around some crystals and minerals around in class because we are learning the characteristics about them.




21.) Crescendo (Noun)-  A gradual increase in loudness of a sound or a section of music.
My mom and brother were fighting a few days ago, and their crescendo went higher and higher as they got more frustrated.

22.)Augmentation (Noun)- The action or process of making or becoming greater in size or amount.

I save my money, and when my birthday comes up I get augmentation in my account.



23.) Staff (Noun)-  All the people employed by a particular organization.

South Central has a lot of staff, but only a few don't yell at us.




24.) Staves (Noun)- A vertical wooden post or plank in a building or other structure.

I haven't heard of a person saying staves before until I worked on this vocabulary list this week.


25.) Notation (Noun)- A series or system of written symbols used to represent numbers, amounts, or elements in something such as music or mathematics.

I think a notation in mathematics can maybe be a dollar sign, but I could be wrong.



26.)Allusion (Noun)- A expression designed to call something to mind without mentioning it explicitly.

Allusion sort of means expressions, but sometimes you can get allusion out of words or phrases.
Allusion





















27.) Onomatopoeia (Noun)- The formation of a word from a sound associated with what is named.
I learned what onomatopoeia means in 7th grade, and it was easier to learn than all the other vocabulary.
Onomatopoeia













28.) Alliteration (Noun)- The occurrence of the same letter or sound at the beginning of closely connected words.
I see the most alliteration in books, but sometimes alliteration can come in movies.
Alliteration









29.) Irony (Noun)- The expression of one’s meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
I see irony used all the time in shirts, but sometimes they don't make sense.

Irony



















































1 comment: