Friday, February 13, 2015

3rd Nine Weeks Vocabulary

1. Predominant- Adjective-
More important, powerful, successful, or noticeable than other people or things.
Predominant would be like standing next to the president or any person in the entertainment industry, and you tried to get the attention on you. 
President













2. Disgruntled -Adjective-
Angry or dissatisfied.
I was very disgruntled today because I didn't get much sleep.














3. Fend- Verb-
Look after and provide for oneself, without any help from others.
Foster kids some times have to fend for themselves, but not all of them do. 


4. Conventional- Adjective-
Based on what is generally done or believed.
Drinking water is conventional to make people healthy. 










5. Appease- Verb-

Relieve or Satisfy.
You will only appease your hunger after you eat.
Satisfied after eating 











6. Real Numbers - Noun- 
All numbers rational and irrational.
We learned about real numbers during math, but she didn't teach us imaginary numbers.











7. Whole Numbers -Noun- 
All numbers from zero to positive infinity.
Negative two is not a whole number because it is negative.









8. Natural Numbers -Noun-
All numbers from one to positive infinity.
1,2,3,4, etc are all natural numbers because they are not negative, and they are on the positive number line.















9. Rational Numbers-Noun-
All numbers that can be written as a fraction.
We are supposed to know the difference between irrational numbers and rational numbers, but some of us don't.







10. Irrational Numbers-Noun-
All numbers that are nonterminating decimals.
I sometimes forget that irrational numbers are not fractions because rational numbers and irrational numbers are almost the same word just drop the ir and you have rational.





11. Connotation-Noun-
The secondary meaning of a word or expression in addition to it's clearly stated/original meaning.
We talked about connotation last year with Mr. Bedingfield, but we didn't go in depth with it.












 12. Denotation -Noun-
The explicit or direct meaning or set of meanings of a word or expression, as distinguished from the ideas or meanings associated with it or suggested by it.
Merriam-Webster is a good cite for finding the denotation of a word because it tells us the direct definition of a word.







13. Exasperate -Verb-
To irritate or provoke to a high degree; annoy extremely.
My brother exasperated my parents a while ago, and they had a huge fight that lasted a couple of days.







14. Negligent -Adjective-
Failing to take proper care in doing something.
Negligent doesn't only mean being a bad parent or not taking care of yourself because it could also mean failing to take care of your possessions.







15. Reciprocal -Adjective-
Given or felt by each toward the other; mutual.
My parents are married, and they have reciprocal feelings for eachother. 










16. Era- Noun-
A large chunk of time in Earth's history. 

Precambrian and the Mesozoic are two era's in Earth's history.






17. Period- Noun-
A small chunk of time in Earth’s history.
Pennsylvanian and the Mississippian are two periods in Earths history.






18. Evolution- Noun-
A theory that says a species changes slowly over time in response to a changing environment on Earth.
I'm not sure I believe in evolution because I have no proof in my hand or watched someting evolve in front of my eyes.







19. Judaism- Noun-
The religion that Jewish people follow.
I have never met a jew, but I would like too.












20. Islam- Noun-
The religion that Muslim people follows.
Yet again I have never met a Muslim, but I have heard stories.








21. Agnostic- Noun-
A person that believes God may or may not exist.
I am agnostic because I am not sure what I believe.







22. Cenozoic Era- Adjective-

A large block of Earths history dominated by birds and mammals.

Cenozoic Era is the era we live in now, but I would like to visit the other era's.










23. Mesozoic Era- Adjective-
A large block of Earths history dominated by dinosaurs.
Mesozoic Era is somewhere I never would like to go because I don't want to be a Kelsey-sandwich.





24. Paleozoic Era- Adjective-
A large block of Earths time dominated by prehistoric life like brachiopods, trilobites, fish, and amphibians.
Paleozoic Era is the Era I want to be in because I would like to see what it was like back then.






25. Coevolve- Noun-
When 2 orgs evolve together because they have a lot of interaction like Bees and flowers and dogs and humans.
Grazers and Grass are another coevolved thing together, and I learned that from science class last week.












26. Judicious- Adjective-
Having, showing, or done with good judgement or sense.
I would like to think that I have a judicious, but I can't be so sure.  










27. Mediate- Verb-
Intervene between people in a dispute in order to bring about an agreement.  
I will never mediate because last time I did I started a bigger dispute.







28. Milieu- Noun-
A person’s social environment.
The word Milieu has a confusing definition because I don't understand what a social enviorment is.







29. Outlandish- Adjective-
Looking or sounding bizarre or unfamiliar.
I moved to Arizona, and the land was completely outlandish.










30. Overbearing- Adjective-

Unpleasantly or arrogantly domineering.
I always hear about overbearing parents, but my parents are really awesome.













No comments:

Post a Comment